Write-N-Cite and RefWorks Citation Manager are alternative plug-in tools, which allow you to add references to a Word document. Check below which one of them is compatible with your computer and your Word version.
N.B.! If you've started your manuscript with Write-N-Cite, you can't continue it using RefWorks Citation Manager and vice versa. Both tools create independent (and separate) bibliographies.
Write-N-Cite is a plug-in that can be installed in Microsoft Word. It lets you make citations in your text and a bibliography using references on your RefWorks account. Write-N-Cite is installed to all computers on campus. You can install in to Word on your own computer as well.
N.B.! Write-N-Cite is compatible with Microsoft Word. See more information on compatibility with versions of Windows, MAC, and Word at in the The New RefWorks Guide.
PC and Mac computers with versions older than Office 2016
Install Write-N-Cite from your RefWorks account. Click the three dots icon on the top menu and go to Tools.
Search for the heading Cite in Microsoft Words. Select either Office 32-bit version or 64-bit version. If you don't know which one your computer is, there are instructions available via the link How do I tell which version of Word I am running? Click Download & Install.
Having problems installing Write-N-Cite?
Instead of Write-N-Cite, you can use RefWorks Citation Manager to add references to your Word document. See instructions in the box below.
Mac computers with Office 2016
Write-N-Cite doesn't currently work with Mac computers using Word 2016. You can create citations without Write-N-Cite, see instructions.
Log in to Write-N-Cite on Word as follows.
1. Open the tab RefWorks. The tab can sometimes be called ProQuest.
2. Click Log in.
3. Give your RefWorks user ID and password, click Log in.
4. Choose which version of RefWorks you want: older RefWorks Legacy or new RefWorks.
5. If you have made changes to your RefWorks account since your last visit to Write-N-Cite, update your Write-N-Cite by clicking "Sync My Database". You are now all set to using Write-N-Cite.
Haaga-Helia's reporting guidelines specify Haaga-Helia's own citation style. However, you can also use Harvard style available on RefWorks, if you mention it in the introduction of your report.
1. Select the citation style in the Style menu. Recent styles are shown on top of the list. Click Select Other Style to choose some other style.
2. Click the style name.
3. You can change the citation style and reformat your text any time by clicking Style and selecting a new style.
Add a citation style to Other styles list
There are numerous citation styles in RefWorks. All of them are not automatically shown on the Other styles list. If the style you need is not shown on the list, log in to your RefWorks account to activate the style: click Create Bibliography ( '' icon on top menu) -- Search for Styles -- search for the style you need - create a bibliography with this style - this "activates" the style.
Return to Word and click Sync My Database. The new style will be the first on the Style list.
1. Click Insert Citation and Insert New to add a new citation. Most recent references you have used are shown in the Insert Citation menu.
2. When the Insert/Edit Citation pop-up window is available, you can browse references by folders or you can search for a specific one in the Search References box. Sort references by Author, Year, or Title.
Click the right button of your mouse to see the full reference.
3. Click the reference you want to add to your text. Preview Citation shows your reference in the citation style you have selected. If you need to add another reference to the same place in your text, click the icon + next to the Compose Citation box and then click the reference.
The references you have selected are listed under Compose Citation.
If you want to edit a reference, go to Edit References. Make sure the correct reference is selected in the Compose Citation box.
Use Prefix when you want to add text in the beginning of a citation.
Adding page numbers to citation
If you need to add page numbers to a citation, use the box Suffix (see picture above , 36-38). Click the tabulator key to preview the citation. The text you type in the Suffix box will be added to the citation, inside the brackets (xxx). Check the Haaga-Helia reporting guidelines for the correct form of punctuation marks.
Use Hide Author when you want to add a citation to the beginnig or middle of a sentence. An example of such a text: "According to Tuulaniemi (2011) service in itself can be a form of marketing". Select the correct reference and click Hide Author. Only the publication year is shown in the citation.
N.B.! Citations can be edited any time, even after you've added them to your text. In Word, double-click the citation to open the Insert/Edit Citation window.
Deleting one reference from a list of many:
1. Move your cursor on top of the citation in your text. Double click the citation to go to Insert/Edit Citation window.
2. Click the reference you want to remove under Compose Citation.
3. Remove the reference using the minus sign.
4. Click OK. The bibliography is updated automatically.
Deleting the whole citation:
The Insert/Edit window cannot be used in this case.
1.In Word, select the citation and delete it as you would any other text (CTRL-Del).
2. You need to update the bibliography by clicking Reapply Output Style.
To add a bibliography to your manuscript:
1. Move your cursor to the place in your text where you want to add a bibliography. You can do this at any time of writing.
2.Click Bibliography Options - Insert Bibliography.
3. If you continue writing the manuscript, new references are automatically added in their correct place in the bibliography.
Use Remove Bibliography to remove a bibliography from your document. Do not use the Delete function of Word!
To edit the layout of the bibliography (spacing, indents, margins, etc.) go to Bibliography Options - Format Bibliography.
Write-N-Cite stores codes within your MS Word Documents to represent your references and bibliography. The codes are not visible. It is not necessary to remove them, if you are writing a thesis at Haaga-Helia.
Some publishers, however, prefer a version of your document without the coding. To remove field codes:
1. Save a copy of your document with a different name. Don't delete this backup copy with field codes! Documents without field codes cannot be updated or reformatted with RefWorks.
2. Click Remove Field codes.
3. Save the Word document with a different name than in step 1.
RefWorks Citation Manager is a Microsoft Word add-in you can use to add references and a bibliography to your Word document. RefWorks Citation Manager is available for Office 2016 and later versions. It runs on Windows, MacOS and iOS (iPad).
N.B! For the time being, RefWorks Citation Manager doesn't work on Office 365 or via VDI. You can use it with your own Word licence.
1. Open Word.
2. Select Insert and then the Store icon.
3. Enter RefWorks into the search field and click ADD.
4. RefWorks Citation Manager appears as a sidebar on the right side of your document.
Access RefWorks Citation Manager by choosing it on Insert > My Add-Ins.
Log in with your RefWorks username and password.
Choose citation style by clicking the three lines menu icon and click Change citation style.
Select citation style. If the style you need is not on the list, enter style name in Search for styles.
Finally, click Update.
1. Browse all references at the same time or references in a specific folder.Click blue icon All References to see your folders.You can also search references using the Search field.
2. Add a reference to your text by clicking on the citation and then Cite this. The citation will show in your text.
3. You can edit the reference (for instance, to add page numbers) by selecting Edit and Cite. Modify the citation and click Insert. The text you type in the Suffix box will be added to the citation, inside the brackets (xxx). Check the Haaga-Helia reporting guidelines for the correct form punctuation marks.
4. If you want to add more than one reference, check the boxes next to the references.The references you've selected are shown on the top of RefWorks Citation Manager sidebar. Click Cite this. Citations will show in your text.
1. Delete references as you would any normal text in Word: highlight the reference and use the backspace or delete key.
2. Click the three lines menu icon and Update document. This removes the reference from the bibliography.
You don't need to add a bibliography. RefWorks Citation Manager generates the bibliography automatically to the end of your Word document, as you add references to your text.
If you delete references, remember to remove them from the bibliography by selecting the three lines menu icon and clicking Update document.